Home

Friday, June 14, 2013

Valley of Flowers Chapter 22

KHUSHI sat in the bath tub in the Raizada Mansion imprisoned in throes of her day dream. She remembered the love filled weekend at hotel Amarvilas, a week ago.
Her body heated up when she thought of the raw passion he had unleashed when he had taken her urgently on the dresser. But then later the same night, he had exercised utmost control and taken his time worshipping her entire body like he was a dying man quenching his thirst. Again in the wee hours of dawn, she had awakened to see him staring at her with those mesmerizing caramel eyes and she was lost in their swirling depths, willingly giving herself up as he devoured her ravenously.
Much later that morning, just she had sunk into the bathtub completely covered by bubbles and closed her eyes, grateful for the piping hot water as it soothed her sore body, Arnav had walked in and taken off his shirt revealing his perfectly toned muscles . ‘I thought we could save time as we are running late for Mr Sheik’s lunch.’ He had stripped before she could open her mouth and climbed into the tub.
Her stomach did a flip flop when she remembered how he had lathered her with the soapy water, massaging her gently, all over. But instead of soothing her he had ended up arousing her and himself, and there was no other option but to assuage the flames that raged within. They had ended up being late for the lunch.
It had been like this since their trip to Agra. It was like all inhibitions had flown out the window in that magical place. They had become insatiable.
He had come to her school one afternoon, surreptitiously watching her while he talked on the phone for a good one hour, reminding her of the days when she used to practice dance in Naniji’s room. Then he had taken her to their farm house which happened to be close. ‘I couldn’t wait until tonight Khushi…’ he told her.
One time, he came back early from work when she been sitting in the living room having tea with Anjali, Payal and Naniji. Everyone was expecting him to join them but he told them that he had to talk to Khushi regarding the Agra meeting. Only she could understand that his caramel brown eyes were simmering with desire, as he indicated for her to come up with a slight movement of his head. She had shaken her head with the slightest of nods refusing to comply. He strode up the stairs and in a few seconds she heard his booming voice.‘Khushi, I need you here now!’
She remembered how her anger had risen, her face turning a deep shade of red as the three women at the table tried hard to supress their chuckles. Laad Governor! She had walked into the room so she could give him a piece of his mind. ‘What do you think---’ She couldn’t complete the sentence as Arnav pushed her against the door, crashing his lips against her, fast and furious. The moments their tongues had meshed Khushi’s anger had vaporised into thin air, clutching at his hair with an urgency that matched his own.
The shrill ring of the phone brought Khushi out of her reverie and she hurried out of her bath, her heart fluttering like a humming bird, thinking it might Arnav. Did he remember what day it was?  When she looked at her phone, reality hit her like a splash of cold water, bringing her out of her daydream. She closed her eyes, her heart twisting painfully. It was Shyam. Hey Devi Maiyya, protect me, she prayed.

A little later, Arnav and Anjali sat in a coffee shop. They had just come out of a meeting with the lawyer regarding their father’s will.
‘Di,’ Arnav placated. ‘I don’t know why you are so upset about the will.’
‘There is something wrong Arnav,’ Anjali said her face twisted in consternation. ‘Dad would never do something like this.’
‘Di, it is alright,’ Arnav consoled his sister.‘I don’t deserve it anyway.’
‘It’s not about who deserves what Arnav,’ Anjali moved her hands in agitation.She took a document out of her purse. ‘I have the copy of the will he made a year ago. I went along with him to make this one. He left the Lucknow house to both of us.’
‘Di, you heard that lawyer. He made a new will a month before he died. That is the latest will.’
‘Arnav, dad’s mental condition deteriorated over the last year. How is it possible for him to make a decision like this?’
‘Di,’ Arnav was strangely surprised with Anjali’s behaviour. ‘Dad left his house to Shyam. So what’s the big deal? You both took care of him during his final days. So now the house belongs to you both.’
‘Not both,’ Anjali said sharply.‘It belongs to Shyam.’
 ‘I can’t believe this,’ he groaned. ‘So you are also one of those couples who run separated finances.’ This was exactly what he was trying to explain to Khushi.
‘I wish.’ Anjali folded her hands looking at the floor.
‘What do you mean Di?’ Arnav leaned forward curiously.
‘I run his finances most of the time,’ she said in a rush. ‘He is always in need of money as he claims to be investing in some scheme or the other. I gave him money from what nanaji left for me. I think he has borrowed from many people as well. I have no idea where all the money goes.’
‘F#$%!’ Arnav exclaimed. ‘I could never have guessed.’
‘No one does actually,’ she said quietly. ‘But I am a psychologist and I have analysed his behaviour pattern.  `
‘He appears very well mannered and calm. But internally he is very restless. He is manipulative, lacks integrity at work and has an inferiority complex about his middle class upbringing. I think the root cause might be a troubled childhood.’
‘What the f@#$!’ Arnav was astounded by Anjali’s revelations.‘Why are you still putting up with all this crap? You should have left him long time ago. Sometimes mistakes happen when you chose a life partner. You can correct it now.’
‘I didn’t choose him Arnav,’ Anjali said quietly. ‘Mom did.’
‘How is that possible Di?’ Arnav’e eyebrows snapped together in confusion. ‘You know how class conscious she was? I thought you had chosen him just to spite mom.’
‘I was surprised too Arnav, but there was no way I could have asked her about it.’
Anjali began reminiscing about events that had occurred during the time starting with their Nanajj’s demise to finally when he had taken their mom leaving her behind.
Arnav raked a hand through his hair. ‘I wish I had been there for you Di.’
‘I wish I was there for you too.’ When Arnav looked up at her in surprise, Anjali said, ‘You hadn’t been yourself since Khushi left. But you wouldn’t let anyone near you. You had completely closed up.’
Arnav explained to his sister what had happened between him and Khushi all those years ago.
‘Nani and I knew there was something between you two!’ Anjali said emphatically. ‘But I can’t believe she would have left you for her career. Khushi doesn’t seem that type.’
‘It doesn’t matter anymore Di,’ Arnav said taking a deep breath. ‘It’s all behind me now. Khushi and I have started afresh.
‘Since I came back and saw how much Khushi has accomplished in her life, I realized that the decision she took at the time was the right one. She was just 18 years old at the time Di. What is wrong in thinking about your career? It was exactly around that age when I went to the US to complete my graduation. I left my family behind didn’t I?
‘What if she had just settled down into a life of domesticity with me? Would she have been happy?’
Anjali got up from her seat and went up to sit next to him. She touched a hand to his cheek. ‘Yes Arnav, she would have been. My heart says, she would have given up everything to be with you. But I also know she wouldn’t have had to give up everything. You wouldn’t have let her. You would have made sure she accomplishes her dreams and aspirations.’
‘Di --’ It felt so good to talk about this to his sister.
‘Arnav, whatever that is between you and Khushi is very unique. Nurture it with care.’ She said wistfully.
Arnav held Anjali’s hand and looked at her seriously. ‘Di, you can have that in your life too. It is better late than never. I think you should leave Shyam. I will support you.’
‘It is not as simple as that. He needs help. I will ask Manav to talk to him.’
‘First it was dad and now this.’ Arnav banged his hand on the table in frustration.
‘Dad’s illness was triggered by the accident but Shyam’s is a personality disorder.’
‘Whatever Di!’ Arnav exclaimed angrily. ‘Are you planning to live the rest of your life trying to “help” him?’
‘I have to try.’
‘At what cost Di?’
They both hugged each other then, the unshed tears in Arnav’s eyes, flowing freely from Anjali’s.

Khushi rang the bell to the Raizada Mansion,and found it strange that no one opened the door. This had never happened to her before. She dug into her purse for a spare key she carried for emergencies and realized the door was open after all. When she pushed the door open, it was pitch dark – another strange thing. Her heart beating wildly she called out ‘Hariprakashji?’ She fumbled in the darkness to find the switch and then all of a sudden the overhead chandelier came on blinding her momentarily as a loud ‘SURPRISE’ rent the air.
She stood shell shocked as a number of laughing faces stood huddled together.
‘Happy Birthday,’ Arnav whispered in her ear coming up from the side. ‘Why don’t you freshen up and come down to cut your cake?’ A beautiful pineapple fresh cream cake lay on the table.
Khushi looked at Arnav her eyes moist. ‘How did you --?’
‘Payal told me this morning,’ Arnav said looking at her. She had left before her birthday. How would he know?
Khushi quickly changed into rust coloured georgette with black border and a matching black blouse. As she came down the stairs,her eyes searched for Arnav and when she found him, her dhak-dhak began in earnestwhen she recognized the look his eyes.
Once the cake was cut, Naniji came up to her and gave her blessings.
‘Happy Birthday Khushi,’ Payal hugged her warmly. ‘Amma wanted to come, but babuji is a little under the weather.’
‘Why didn’t she tell me when she called me in the morning?’ Khushi pouted.
‘Because she knew you would go running home and spoil Arnavji’s surprise party. I made jalebis for you today. But Ashuhas almost finished it.’ She added looking at her son affectionately.
‘I guess he inherited the family trait from you ha?’ Akash quipped smiling.
Khushi took her little nephew in her arms. ‘Why don’t you send him to play with me anymore jiji? I miss putting this little brat to sleep. I am sure he misses me too.’ She tickled his little tummy.
‘Ah sure Khushi, if you miss him so much we will send him to you tonight,’ Akash said tongue in cheek. He immediately earned a slap on his arm from Payal. Khushi went red in the face when she realized what Akash was insinuating.
Though Arnav was across the room talking to Mr Malhotra, he turned his face toward her, giving her a look that could melt her insides. He was a magician weaving sensual spell, putting her in a trance in a room full of people.
‘Why didn’t you tell me it was your birthday today Khushi?’ Mrs Bedibroke the spell. ‘It was so hard not to wish you once I got the invitation from your husband.’
Before she could answer girls from her dance class surrounded her wishing her with utmost exuberance.
‘They were thrilled because Mr Raizadasent us a Innova so we could get here,’ she told Arnav. ‘They think this is some sort of a field trip.’ She added affectionately.
As the group proceeded to take a tour of the house, Khushi saw Ria and NK walk in.She summoned Arnav to her side with a slight nod. ‘You invited Nanheji?’ she whispered anxiously.
‘Of course,’ he said, his brown eyes instantly taking on a possessive glint, ‘I wanted to show off that you belong to me.’
‘Arnav!’ Khushi groaned.
‘I am just kidding,’ he smiled mischievously. ‘I apologized to him for hitting him on his wedding day. This was a peace offering. I didn’t want things to become awkward between him and Akash.’
‘So you did this for Akash?’ Khushi said raising her eyebrows.
‘Yes, not for you. I don’t care if things between you and NK are awkward. In fact I might prefer it. And stop calling him that weird name and call him NK or Nandakishore.I hate it!’
And just like that he was back to being the Laad Governor, thought Khushi. But his possessiveness didn’t bother her one bit. In fact, she preferred it.
Anjali came in with Dr Manav and hugged her whole heartedly apologizing for coming late. She looked extremely tired and stressed out. Dr Manav wished her and rushed off immediately as he had an emergency at the hospital.
‘Di, are you alright?’ Arnav said lines of concern creasing his forehead. ‘Where is Shyam?’
‘I have no idea,’ she said quietly. ‘His phone is switched off. I have a splitting headache.’
‘Shall I bring you some dinner?’ Khushi offered.
Arnav held her hand. ‘I will do that. You go and take care of the guests.’
Khushi smiled her compliance and went about making sure everyone was being taken care of. She was about to call out to the couple standing by the pool side when she realized it was Lavanya. She was talking to a well-built man about her own height. She had never seen him before.
‘That’s Karan Sighania,’ Arnav supplied coming up behind her. ‘I knew she was going through a rough patch when she came when mom died, but I refrained from interfering as it was none of my business.
‘After you told me what Lavanya had done I figured it was time to call her husband and find out what was going on. He said that Lavanya craves attention and being an extremely busy business man, he hadn’t been able to fulfil her needs. I think she became miffed with him when he cancelled a trip to Greece which they were supposed to take to celebrate her birthday and came to India saying she needed some time alone.
‘Now that they are talking they will figure it all out. Communication is key in the life of any married couple. We resolved NK and Lavanya’s issues only by talking it out, didn’t we?’
Khushi felt like a knife was being twisted in her heart.

After the guests left the house, the family, sans Naniji, sat at the dining room for a late night tea. Shyam walked into the house.
‘Jeejaji, where were you?’ Akash called out to him. ‘You missed Khushi’s birthday party.’
Shyam walked toward the group. ‘Khushiji didn’t invite me for the party.’
‘Arnav threw a surprise party for Khushi,’ Anjali said in a rush, ‘and he put it all together only in the afternoon. Since I was caught up with some important work, it slipped my mind to call you.’
Shyam looked at Anjali. ‘If I had been married to Khushiji, I am sure it wouldn’t have slipped her mind.’
An awkward silence filled the room as everyone looked at him like he grown two horns. Khushi and Payal exchanged an uncomfortable look.
‘Are you drunk?’ Arnav said.
‘It was a just a joke!’ Shyam exclaimed looking at the shocked crowd.
‘If it was a joke it was in bad taste!’ Arnav shot back, his brown eyes simmering with a barely controlled temper.
‘Oh I see why you didn’t get the humour behind this,’ Shyam said smiling at Arnav. ‘Khushiji has probably never told you that we might have been married today had I not rejected her proposal five years ago.’
No one spoke and then suddenly Payal said, ‘It was hardly a proposal jeejaji. You visited our house just before my wedding, as your dad was babuji’s acquaintance from Lucknow. Khushi was not even at home. Only later, babuji told us that your dad was interested in an alliance. Before we could even think about it he called back and told us you were not interested in the alliance.
‘Both Khushi and I have received many such proposals.’
Khushi looked at her sister gratefully for her having supported her.
Anjali looked at Arnav and then she said, ‘Shyam, I think we should go inside. I would like to talk to you about something.’

Later that night, Khushi stepped into the bedroom after visiting Naniji as she hadn’t been able to stay at the party long due to the pain in her feet.
She saw Arnav holding a box in his hand. She tip toed up to him and snatched the box from his hand.
‘Khushi, give that back!’ Arnav exclaimed.
Khushi backed away from him playfully. ‘Why should I? This looks like my birthday gift.’
‘You are not going to like it Khushi,’ he said turning serious. ‘Give that back to me and I will get you something else.’
‘Nothing doing!’ She tore the wrapper and opened the box to find a key – which looked very much like a --- ‘Is this a car key?’ She said her eyes wide with surprise.
‘An i10. I figured it will be easy for you when you have to come looking for me the next time I walk out.’
Khushi glared at him. ‘Why were you trying to hide it?’
‘You hide things from me too.’ He accused her.
‘It was such an insignificant thing in my life Arnav.’
‘I don’t care if it was insignificant Khushi,’ he said grasping her arms with his fingers, ‘I want to know everything going on in your life.’
Khushi felt that knife being twisted further. Since the time he had told her he wanted to leave the past behind and move on, he had left no stone unturned to be the perfect husband any girl could hope for. She had already betrayed his trust once because of his mother. Could she hide a significant truth from him even to protect him?
Khushi playfully slapped his cheek. When his eyes widened with surprise, she said, ‘You told me I could slap you, remember?’ The she went on her tiptoes and kissed him all over his face. She continued to kiss him as she unbuttoned his shirt. He quickly disposed off with her saree and they fell on the bed in a tangle of limbs.
‘I know something has been bothering you lately.’ His mouth moved to her temples, her closed eyes, the curve of her cheek and under her chin. Moments that should be ecstasy, clouded with threats from the malevolent past. ‘What’ wrong?’
‘I am afraid.’ She whispered.
‘So am I.’ He lowered his mouth to the vale between her breasts and she held his head there, desperately clutching at the tenderness in his voice. His wonderful voice, velvety, vibrant, sometimes possessed of a cold, cutting edge.
They lay together quite still for a long time as though they were afraid to move or speak. ‘I love you,’ Khushi said tenderly, her hand in his hair.
‘Do you?’ He lifted his head to smile at her, but the tinge of sadness in his eyes hurt her.
‘Arnav,’ she said, and her voice was unbearably broken-hearted.
‘Why Khushi?’ He said suddenly.‘Why did you leave?’
‘I wish …’ she sighed. The ghost of SharadaRaizada was suddenly in the room, smiling triumphantly because she knew the extent of Khushi’s dilemma. How could she hurt Arnav’s mother without hurting him? How could she blacken the name of the woman Arnav had adored? His own mother, the woman who had idolized him from birth.
‘I hope you are not playing games with me Khushi.’
‘Don’t you know what happens to me when you touch me?’
He held her head still in his hands. ‘I want to know what goes on inside this delicate skull.’
She closed her eyes, dazed, and as her lids came down so did his mouth, hot and urgent, expressing a deep hunger.
Desolation went rapidly to the most perfect physical communion, a fantasy of the senses where there was no room for bitterness or reproach. As soonas they came together, in an incredibly short time, their bodies spoke for them. Tenderness, a rapturous passion and something very precious -- love.

Khushi felt cold when she suddenly realized that Arnav was no longer with her in bed. She opened her eyes to see that bedside clock showing 4.30 AM. She looked around and found Arnav dressed in his suit holding his travel case. She shot up. ‘Arnav! Where are you going?’
‘No where if you don’t cover yourself right now.’ He said walking up to her bed.
Khushi looked down she her breasts were exposed and she snatched the cover, clutching it to her breast in embarrassment.
‘I have a meeting in Mumbai and then tonight I fly to Singapore for a week.’ He sat down.
Khushi looked at him, her eyes flashing. ‘You were leaving without telling me?’
‘This meeting came up yesterday. And then I completely forgot because of your surprise party. And then in the night you distracted me.’ He dipped a finger into her cleavage and leaned in to kiss her creamy neck. ‘I didn’t want to disturb you.’
‘Arnav, I want to tell you something.’ Khushi whispered.
‘I know,’ he kissed her up her jaw. ‘I found the bank documents you signed of our joint account.’
‘It’s not ....that.’
‘Not now,’ He whispered in her ear as he cupped her breast. ‘No time.’
‘It’s important Arnav.’ She put her own hand over his.
 ‘God Khushi,’ he groaned and stood up abruptly. ‘I am going to be late for my flight. Can you be quick?’
Ouick? How could she quickly tell him that his mother was responsible for her leaving all those years ago? All she could say was --- ‘I love you.’
Arnav looked at her, his caramel eyes resplendent with an emotion she couldn’t decipher. He leaned down and gave her a hard kiss. ‘I have to tell you something too. But it will have to wait until I get back. Don’t go anywhere.’ He winked at her and walked away dragging his suitcase,shutting the door behind him.
A cold fear gripped Khushi when she heard the click of the door. She couldn’t do this anymore. She would have to tell him the truth when he came back from Singapore.
The million dollar question, however was, would Arnav believe her over his mother? He had loved her once upon a time, but was there any love in his heart for her now? All his actions pointed in that direction, but he had not told her in so many words. In any case, she had no choice now. It was a risk she would have to take. Khushi’s heart grew heavy at the irony of the situation. The only one who could prove her innocence was also the one who wanted to destroy her life.

She had come to a decision. She was not going to pay that evil man a single rupee. He could go to hell for all she cared.

15 comments:

  1. This time I jumped into the blog.... It's good..Arnav is the prefect dreamy husband... For the first time I liked PayAl in the story...I have always loved Anjali in this story..today she floored me..she's strong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kavi u write so well... Read it again I always love the update even more after a leisurely second read

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving Arnav and Khushiz growing intimacy!!

    tell Arnav , Khushi.. tell him soon..

    i was soo relieved when she decided not to gv that creep any money!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anjali... i love her.... she is soo stable.. so calm... shez such a soothing woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWSOME n captivating update......LOVED ANJALI SOOOO MUCH...thank God....she has all her eyes n brain open against Shyam....I wish she comes to know the whole truth n helps arnav see thru his blind love n faith against his mother..... Khushi has already taken a very very risky step by not confiding the truth in arnav....I can see another heartbreak in its way for both of them....ESP when he does not believe khushi completely .... N still thinks she can play games with him..... Actually that part should have hurt khushi...but she feels guilty in not telling him the truth....but can't believe a mother can ruin two of her kids lifs just because of her insecurities ....n still winning with the help of that creep slimy Shyam....can't see them win any more ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a brilliant update. I am do glad eddy khushi gas finally decided to speak to arnav! Thanks for the brilliant update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh, i loved it
    awsome update
    U go Khushi, don't let that leech shyam take advantage of you,
    the best part was when Payal told the family what actually happened about the proposal,
    can't wait to read more
    thanks for the update:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. finally Anjali knows her husband a no good schemer

    Payal rocked when she told the family about the proposal that Shyam insinuated about

    I hope Arnav believes Khushi when she tells him what his mother did

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice update. Finally she realizes that it is better to let him know... Where is Arnav going and Why? Is he up to something? I hope that Shyam doesn't create much problems, and if he does then I know Arnav and Khushi will short it out eventhough he is rage maniac first :). But Khushi is the only one who can handle him :). Loved the way Payal answered Shyam about his misconception ;). Do update soon....

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice update..everything is perfect between them...but i wish she told him about shyam before shyam create a problem... and about his mother...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I happen to accidently stumble on this blog and then I started reading this amazinggg,flawless so well executed with right amount of attraction,passion,betrayal,dark secrets and undying love all mixed in right proportions to bring out this amazinggg story....what can I say,I'm simply in awee of your writing!!!

    What I loved the most is how you have unfold the story!!

    Relli like this selflessl, epic of beauty- khushi
    And arrogant,ruthless but nonetheless caring arnav!!!

    M sooo happie khushi took the decision of not giving a penny to shyam,hope everything goes well until arnav returns

    I jus dnt want laali to be the women of arnavz dad past and her any relation with khushi,clearly they're in whirlpool of troubles and secret!!

    Good anjali has already given arnav hints of shyam not being mentally well

    Loved reading it to bitsss
    Hope you have an index for your other works as I dnt want to miss out on any!!

    Amazinggg update!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. finally... Khushi has decided to tell him everything... I just hope its not too late...Khushi deserves some happiness....
    Anjali seems to know that Shyam is upto something... may be she can help Khushi...
    Brilliant update

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful update as usual ...Anjali has her suspicions about Shyam....I echo everyone else's sentiments too...glad she is not dumbo in your story.........what bad luck...when Khushi finally mustered up the guts to reveal the truth to Arnav he was in a rush to go......truth, eventually has to come out...storm is brewing near....so much is at stake......God help Khushi....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Communication is key in the life of any married couple..... Arnav is so true. Only love is not enough for a good marriage... Communication and trust also needed along side to make a good marriage.
    I am very pleased to see for the first in this story Payal taking a stand for Khushi. She rocked when she told the family about the proposal that Shyam insinuated about.
    Loved Anjali so much. Thank God!!! she has all her eyes and brain open against Shyam. I wish she comes to know the whole truth and helps Arnav see thru his blind love and faith against his mother. Glad Khushi has already taken a very very risky step by not confiding the truth in Arnav and when she gathered courage to tell him the truth, he was in rush to go. I am happy khushi took the decision of not giving a penny to shyam,hope everything goes well until arnav returns and I hope it's not too late.

    ReplyDelete